Do you ever experience dry, cracked, peeling, or chapped lips? If so, there are some things you can do to help them. Having healthy lips, like anything in/on our bodies, requires us to care for them.
Our lip’s skin has unique characteristics because it is located at the boundary of the mucous membrane and facial skin. Unlike the skin on the rest of your body, the lip skin comprises a thin stratum corneum (SC) and does not grow hair nor does it have sweat glands. This makes the lips very susceptible to our overall health and the environment.
No one likes having to deal with lip "issues". It's this time of year, and sometime year round, that many people suffer with dry, cracked, chapped lips. It happens for myriad reasons and can be a nuisance, not only as an irritating and sometime painful condition, but also an untimely one if we are going out and want to look our best.
Lips are actually fairly fragile as far as skin goes. To get the healthy lips we need to treat them gently and use proper protective products on them. It goes without saying that overall health matters in the equation.
So, how do we take care of our lips? Here are 5 tips for attaining and maintaining healthy, soft, supple lips.
- Exfoliate your lips by removing dry, dead skin flakes. Do this by gently brushing your lips with a wet, extra soft-bristled toothbrush or a washcloth.
- Hydrate by drinking adequate amounts of water. You should be drinking, at a minimum, at least half your weight in ounces. (ie: if you weigh 140 lbs., drink at least 70 ounces of water daily)
- Protect and moisturize your lips with high quality products. This means using lip balms/ salves/treatments/therapies or lip masks that are made with high quality, plant-based ingredients. DO NOT use products with chemicals or synthetics, as these products can be more harmful to your lips in the long term. See note 1.
- Reapply often and as needed. This means using products that are kind to your lips and there’s no worry from frequent use.
- Speaking of products - be sure you're using the right ones. If you want a good suggestion, check out Young Ever After’s Overnight Replenishing Lip Mask. This all plant-based Lip Therapy is top of line quality and WILL deliver excellent results. Click here for more info!
There is no reason not to NNNjoy healthy, soft, supple lips.
Note - Products like petroleum jelly, chapsticks, carmex and similar are not the best options (IMO), and may have toxic or impure ingredients. Please do yourself a favor and avoid using these types of products.